SOUTHERN is conducting an urgent internal review after large crowds built up at Redhill station on Sunday. Rail replacement buses arranged during Network Rail engineering work on the Brighton Main Line apparently failed to provide enough capacity.
The operator has been accused of failing to take action by Reigate MP Crispin Blunt, who said the company had been warned in advance that its plans were not sufficient.
Angry passengers described ’stampedes’ around Redhill station as passengers trying to reach Gatwick Airport failed to get on board a bus or a train. At least one passenger told the BBC that she missed her flight as a result.
RMT general secretary Mick Cash said: “GTR should be stripped of this franchise and the public sector brought in before there's a major tragedy."
Southern has apologised and promised a review, which is already under way.