Two derailments last week have left lines blocked in Sussex and Essex. National Rail also reported problems with overhead wires on the East Coast Main Line.
The derailment near Lewes left the three trailing vehicles of a Southern train bound for Eastbourne tipped into a field on Thursday. Twenty people were injured, two of them seriously. Network Rail has warned that the railway between Lewes and Haywards Heath will stay closed for at least another ten days while the train is removed and the line repaired.
A second derailment on Friday affected a train at Wickford in Essex, where one vehicle of a train left the rails. No one was injured, but GBR Anglia said more than 2km of track had been ‘extensively’ damaged. The line between Billericay and Hockley will stay closed while emergency repairs are carried out.
Inspectors from the Rail Accident Investigation Branch have been examining the evidence at both sites, and there has been speculation that the very hot weather may have been a factor. The line behind the derailed Lewes train was visibly distorted, and the maximum temperature in southern England on Thursday was 38.1 C, which was recorded at Kew Gardens.
The RAIB may publish an interim report into the Lewes derailment later this week.
Replacement buses are running in Sussex and Essex. GBR managing director Jamie Burles said: ‘Our response teams are working around the clock and doing everything they can to safely restore the line and resume normal train services as soon as possible.
‘In the meantime, we know this disruption will impact our customers’ journeys on the lines to Southend Victoria and Southminster and we are grateful for our customers’ patience as we carry out this emergency work. We are very sorry for the inconvenience we know this disruption to services will cause.’
Greater Thameslink Railway CEO John Whitehurst said: ‘It has been an incredibly difficult time for our customers and colleagues, and our thoughts remain with everyone affected by this, particularly the family and friends of those who have been injured.
‘We recognise the impact this incident will have on customers' journeys in the days ahead, and we're working closely with Network Rail to do everything we can to keep customers moving while recovery work continues and the railway is restored safely. We know this recovery effort is not only affecting rail customers, but also local communities around Lewes, and I'd like to thank them for their patience and understanding while our teams work to restore the railway.’
Recovery of the Lewes train will take some time. Network Rail said road access to the site of the derailment is difficult, and it is using two 125-tonne rail mounted cranes to remove the derailed coaches.
Meanwhile, there was also disruption on the East Coast Main Line after the overhead wires had been damaged between Peterborough and Stevenage, but National Rail says services are now returning to normal.
What do you think? Click here to let us know.


